Monday, June 17, 2013

Breath of New Life

From 2009-2012 I had a healthy living blog.  I started it about half way through my own 60+ pound weight loss.  I was hoping that my success would inspire others, and I was thrilled when people I didn't know reached out for help or to offer encouragement.  I really enjoyed sharing that experience and making so many new friends.  After about 3 years of maintaining my weight loss I found that I was inspired to post less and less frequently.  A few months ago I shut down sjweightloss and I am excited to share my new adventures on Reno-vate (because I live in Reno, NV, cute, right?).  I will still post quite a bit of nutrition and healthy-lifestyle tips here because it is my passion and my profession (I am a certified Health Coach), but this will be a more general lifestyle blog with a lot more decorating and organizing tips and a lot fewer recipes.  This is a good thing.  I actually quit calling them recipes and started calling them "meal ideas". 


I love to read, mostly non-fiction, and to watch documentaries.  Back in the sjweightloss days I posted a  book or movie review once a week in a little post called Media Monday.  I'm keeping that going with this week's book by Tricia Guild, Color, Patterns, and Space.  She's British so she can put the extra coma before the and, a touch I quite like! I am now typing in a British accent.  This book was published in 2010, but her style is so over the top decorative and eccentric that it's timeless. 


 In the first chapter, entitled, Breath of New Life, begins, "It's a widely held dream to discover a sleeping beauty of a house, quietly rotting away in the countryside, and bring it back to life."  I realize this is also a widely held nightmare. To be clear, I am a dreamer.

 

This book chronicles the restoration of one ancient British "Country Home" (what we yanks call a MANSION) after another.  There are no before pictures, which is the only bummer, but the success of this format is that you are completely transported into an elegantly energetic world of hunting parties, gardening, and afternoon tea.  I'm using the British coma now.  Her signature is using mis-matched drapes on the same window, and I plan to do this in my next house.  She also believes, as do I, that every room can be improved with the graphic contrast of a black and white print.  Her style isn't for everyone, but that's why it's so inspiring!  It requires a look so defined and consistently presented to move our thinking just a little bit.  That's why fashion shows are so wacky!


If you're interested in design you would enjoy this book, even if the style is a little colorful and feminine for you.  Stop by and borrow my copy any time.

-Jacqui

No comments:

Post a Comment